Sunday, October 14, 2012

DAY 16 - CAN PRAYER SAVE AMERICA?

With all pistons firing - i.e. Mental Clarity, Wisdom, Discernment et al - we look at the fuel which powers our prayers - FAITH! EM Bounds says, among other things, that "Prayer is Faith claiming and taking hold of its natural, immeasurable inheritance. Moreover, when Faith ceases to pray, it ceases to live".

This sort of powerful definition of prayer, has been misunderstood in the American century of Faith as a business, by fly-by-night prosperity gospel hucksters, who have turned the "claiming and taking hold of the inheritance part" into a Name it and Claim it philosophy that seeks after the temporary riches of this world (money in the bank, fancy homes, cars etc) RATHER than the Eternal Riches, which can be found only in Christ Jesus our King!

Therefore, we go to our foundation, our basis for believing and applying these things - the Bible. Here is what the Apostle Paul, who was personally instructed by Jesus for three years in the Arabian desert, said in Philippians 4:6-7 "do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

We can explore all the other gems in these two verses, but I felt led to concentrate on the word "ANXIOUS" here. We can do an entire series of sermons on this word and its noun, Anxiety. But to key off it, we need to grasp what the Lord meant by putting that phrase in there. For instance, if we are not anxious, then we're at peace. We are at peace if we trust Somebody and more importantly, if we have FAITH that SOMEONE is going to do what He said He will do!

So Father, in the Name of Jesus, I put my Faith, my complete Trust in YOU, as LORD and Savior, not just for my eternal salvation, not just for the very AIR that I breathe, not just for the health and strength You have given me, but for the very fact that I know that my relationship with You is so COMPLETE, that I can come to You knowing You will do what You said You will do just before You rose into Heaven to await Your Second Coming. I know from whence the peace in my soul comes from. I know where the joy in my heart is sourced and I know my inheritance is not in the filthy rags of this world but with and in You, in Heaven above. I lay hold of that eternal prize by accessing it now, as Your son (or daughter) and will never cease to pray to you that my Faith may live and live more abundantly because it is only through Christ the King that I able to do this, and it is in His Name I pray, amen and amen!

 (image by google)

No comments: