Thursday, November 17, 2011

GUEST WRITER WEEK: NIKKI HAHN!


"GABBY"
It’s finally cold. Leaves form miniature hills on each side of the cobbled walk. I am heading to one of my favorite haunts, The Wild Iris Coffee Shop.
Its lunch time and I need a break away from the office to sip coffee and write. Dog walkers are bundled in thick coats. The sky is a deep blue, sparsely populated by clouds.
Nikki Hahn
I am content. I run to the crosswalk not wanting to miss the light and spend more minutes  waiting and finally arrive at the shop. This time I did not break the piggy bank to get a regular cup of coffee. A stressful day deserves a treat. Or at least that’s my rationalization. My husband will need some sweet talking to convince him of the extra dollars spent today.
It’s interesting what one hears in a coffee shop.
Two men are talking; one man sounds like Gabby Hayes (okay, some of you younger ones are giving me blank looks, but I grew up on Roy Rogers and loved Gabby).
Gabby talks about religion. “I found religion.”
As if you could find it, I thought.
“Really?” The other man leans his chin on his palm.
Gabby laughs. “Yeah, my girlfriend…” And he continues his conversation, bashing his girlfriend and religion in one breath.
One day you are not going to bash it. One day you will see and I hope it’s not too late.
You don’t find religion. You can’t become religious to appease your girlfriend or relatives. You’re either a believer in Christ or one in darkness. We are not allowed to sit on the fence anymore. In this culture, we can worship anything, but according to God we can only worship Him.
And that’s not a religion.
It’s a way of life.
TITUS 3:5 (NASB) "He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit."
(Image by Google Images)

2 comments:

lynnmosher said...

Okay., Nikki! You're either older than you look or you're cheating and using an old photo. You can't possibly remember Roy Rogers and Gabby Hayes! LOL Great post! Loved it!

The Bernie Lutchman Blog said...

hahaha...I am staying out of this one, Lynnmeister!! ha! It was a superb piece she wrote....I will put her other picture on now!! :-)

Blessings Lynn and Nik!